- I still had to balance my checkbook this morning.
- Six to twelve months of Trumpism in power, and I predict many of the people who thought they’d like his brand of change will be begging for some of the old order back.
- A note to the pollsters and pundits– please get your heads out of your asses. At the very least this should not have been a surprise.
- “Up to three Supreme Court picks” (11/9/2016 ABC News). With the Senate and House both in Republican hands, this has the potential of locking a right-wing collar around America for at least a generation.
- That’s assuming that the economic depression Trump’s asinine monetary policies will cause leaves a country to collar.
- I’m just glad Keith Olbermann didn’t blow a complete gasket. He still calls it pretty good, though.
- An ABC News commentator just mentioned that votes are still being counted in California and that Hillary will probably win the national popular vote while losing the Electoral College– only the fifth time that’s happened in our history. If we needed a clinching argument to do away with the Electoral College, we got one now.
- Perhaps the chief moral of this election is that there is a deep, deep reservoir of resentment and fear in this country among certain people who have been generally shafted by the shifts in the economy away from industry toward information and services, left behind by the concentration of too much wealth in the hands of too few, and who don’t see themselves included in an increasingly diverse country. It was that alienation Trump tapped into. Like most demagogues, he has no real remedy for these perceived ills, and will doubtless only exacerbate them in the long run.
- Trump’s election ties the US to what is clearly an emerging international wave of retrograde nationalism and anti-immigrant feeling (e.g. Brexit) that threatens the world order as we have known it since the end of the Cold War, and maybe since World War II. Right now, it really sucks to be a Syrian refugee, but given Trump’s waffling on NATO, in the near future it might be even worse to be Estonian or Latvian. That’s scary– and it’s just the start of the potential horrors.
- A note to Mr. Trump– per the Constitution, you are President-elect. But when you take office, Mr. Trump, expect the people– and there are a lot of us– who see through your bullshit to be watching. That same Constitution that designates you as President will also provide the mechanism to hold you accountable. If there is any life left in this Republic, you will find that Presidents are not dictators– at least, please God, not quite yet in this country.
- A note to my fellow Democrats– let’s all take a deep breath, take care of the necessary, mundane business of life, and try to think about what’s next. Keep calm, and persevere.
More thoughts to come…..